Classes for players

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Classes for players

Post  Targaryen on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi! well it looks that today i have a run with the ideas.

After playing a few matches, i've seen that there's no clases like in the WIII map, and i think it would be a great implementation. With clases, i mean being an engineer, pilot or commander (this are the main clases).. and other stuff that u can create like soldier (for the boarding), hacker, medic, etc.

The use of this it's pretty simple, at the begining, u can pick one of the classes (with a higher reputation ranking, u can unlock other clases), you don't lvl UP with it, but u have a bonus when u pick it, like:
- the engineer builds items faster, repair more or refine better.
- the pilot goes faster with the vessels, and have better maneuver with it.
- the commander i don't know what can he have, i'll have to check the WIII map.

As you can see in these examples, all are passive skills that they get.
All the clases can be picked by anyone, so everyone in the team could be engineer or commanders, but they will not get a great benefit from that, so with this, I think you encourage people to have an specific role in the cruiser for a great teamplay.

If you think it's OK, i'll try to build specific classes, and specific passive skills.

Targaryen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Classes for players

Post  Siretu on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 am

I thought about it and I think it's a good idea but I don't want it to have too effect game-play too much. I want everyone to be able to do everything. I haven't started thinking about the bonuses, but if you could do some thinking and write down what you come up with, I can take a look at it and tell you what I think Smile

Siretu
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://starcrafteditorial.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chevronn on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 am

I don't like the reputation and classes at all. Please don't put this stuff into a game. It changes it to a "I 11, I play 11 hours a day, I have 1000000XP, and best stuff, I win" kinda game. ;/

Many games on SC II platform are changing into this. That makes them playable only by the players who spend all day stuck by keyboard. ;( Some of us got lives you know.

Chevronn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siretu on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 am

That's my opinion as well. I don't want it to be a farm game and I don't want people who haven't farmed to feel like they can't compete with other players.

How I want it to work is that you can pick between the majority of classes from the beginning, no matter how much rep you have, but some classes take more rep. The classes give small bonuses, but nothing major. The advantages with this are:

* You get a small feeling of accomplishment for being a good player and maintaining a good reputation.

* Players get a better sense of what to focus on in that game. In other words, it helps people concentrate. Instead of going: "Hey I'll do some mining. Hmm, or I could stay here and refine... Ah, I know, I'll just save up for an infiltrator and try to board the enemy ship." and while thinking all of this, they haven't accomplished anything.

* As a follow-up on the last point, it helps beginner's know what to do. Instead of entering the game with tons of weird consoles and places to go, not knowing what to do, the beginner will get a choice between classes. He can still do everything the other classes can, but since he picked miner, he knows he should mine since he has a small mining bonus. He'll try to focus on learning on mining for this game and the next game, he'll pick another class.

* More advanced roles can be "locked" until you have more experience with the game, without actually locking them. Making the hacker role require 10 reputation for example, means that a beginner might not try and do that early. Instead, he might choose to learn about the other stuff first until he unlocks it later on when he's experienced. This means that if you play on a different account or different computer, you can still do all the advanced stuff even though that specific role is locked. You'll miss out on a small bonus, but it wont affect too much.

Now of course, this is in an optimistic world. This is just my view of what I'd like to accomplish while avoiding the issues you mentioned.

Siretu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chevronn on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:44 am

Your post really lifted some stones. The idea you have on classes seems very amicably. Wink Roles would really direct people and it pleases my eyes to see that you aren't going to make any physical barriers for different ship activities. Being a part of specific crew would give a some kind of feel to the game. ;D

Do you intend to include different uniforms for different classes? I think there is a way to easily change diffuse maps on units somewhere on the web. That would help new players to become accustomed with their class. Orange uniforms for engineers, blue/white for navigation, black/red for boarding and grey/black/green for pilots would give some eye candy. Or perhaps different models for different roles?

Chevronn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siretu on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48 am

I was considering changing the models. This is rather easy to do. I could also change the tint color, that is also rather easy to do, but it can make the player colors harder to distinguish. Finally, there's also the option to change the texture. This is a little bit harder, but I've done it before in my map Banelings.

Siretu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Targaryen on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Siretu wrote:That's my opinion as well. I don't want it to be a farm game and I don't want people who haven't farmed to feel like they can't compete with other players.

How I want it to work is that you can pick between the majority of classes from the beginning, no matter how much rep you have, but some classes take more rep. The classes give small bonuses, but nothing major. The advantages with this are:

* You get a small feeling of accomplishment for being a good player and maintaining a good reputation.

* Players get a better sense of what to focus on in that game. In other words, it helps people concentrate. Instead of going: "Hey I'll do some mining. Hmm, or I could stay here and refine... Ah, I know, I'll just save up for an infiltrator and try to board the enemy ship." and while thinking all of this, they haven't accomplished anything.

* As a follow-up on the last point, it helps beginner's know what to do. Instead of entering the game with tons of weird consoles and places to go, not knowing what to do, the beginner will get a choice between classes. He can still do everything the other classes can, but since he picked miner, he knows he should mine since he has a small mining bonus. He'll try to focus on learning on mining for this game and the next game, he'll pick another class.

* More advanced roles can be "locked" until you have more experience with the game, without actually locking them. Making the hacker role require 10 reputation for example, means that a beginner might not try and do that early. Instead, he might choose to learn about the other stuff first until he unlocks it later on when he's experienced. This means that if you play on a different account or different computer, you can still do all the advanced stuff even though that specific role is locked. You'll miss out on a small bonus, but it wont affect too much.

Now of course, this is in an optimistic world. This is just my view of what I'd like to accomplish while avoiding the issues you mentioned.

OMG this exactly word-by-word what i was thinking about; and i'll try to design the clases with all of this in mind; i couldn't say it better ^^. Anyone has any ideas??

Targaryen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Depe

Post  Hazard on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 am

I think roles/classes would be all right if they weren't too game dependent. Because lets say you have a NAV and he d/cs Well then bam you're kinda upstream without a paddle. I think. Also I never liked the idea of rewarding someone who farms this game. Maybe Rep amount would just allow you to use other skins?

Hazard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ConfuseRay on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Classes would have to be balanced; perhaps give bonus to one but take away from another? i.e. commanders have bonus at nav, but penalty when piloting small ships, weapons officers have bonus at weapons, but have penalty at nav? etc.

ConfuseRay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Warsign on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:21 am

Ok, let's not try to derail the thread by going crazy with this classes idea. From Siratu's post, it seems that he's trying to use classes as an ad-hoc tutorial while having it remain some sort of "boost that's not really a boost".

Adding classes at this point is just making the game needlessly complex with ANOTHER thing that needs to be balanced. The attention of the game should be, and always has been in my opinion, the actual battlecruiser.

As a follow-up on the last point, it helps beginner's know what to do. Instead of entering the game with tons of weird consoles and places to go, not knowing what to do, the beginner will get a choice between classes. He can still do everything the other classes can, but since he picked miner, he knows he should mine since he has a small mining bonus. He'll try to focus on learning on mining for this game and the next game, he'll pick another class.

This point is nice and all, but a small how-to/checklist for each role in a drop-down menu or something would function just as well, and not tunnel vision half the player base. (Sure you don't HAVE to be in a certain role for the whole game, but imagine how hard it's going to be to dislodge people from their 'designated' roles. Not just the new players, but people who don't read these forums)

Warsign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siretu on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 am

Warsign wrote:Adding classes at this point is just making the game needlessly complex with ANOTHER thing that needs to be balanced. The attention of the game should be, and always has been in my opinion, the actual battlecruiser.

Everything you said is very sensible, and I appreciate your opinion. I just wanted to highlight the part above because it's important. There's a huge amount of suggestions and most of them are great. However there's a limit to how much stuff we can add before it gets impossibly complex for a new player.

Also, don't get discouraged by the small amount of content additions. I am going to try to focus on making the game experience more stable as a first priority. Content comes afterwards.

Siretu
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top