Cruiser Command
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sensor Types (Pings)

5 posters

Go down

Sensor Types (Pings) Empty Sensor Types (Pings)

Post  Corinthian Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Before I place this in Suggestions, I want to know what others thiink.

Each small ship could have it own Sensor type, each available for upgrade, each color coded.

Currently:
BC = All ship Ping (Enemy Red, Ally Green)
Miner = Scanner Sweep (Asteroid Color)
Wraith = Miner Ping (Yellow)

Proposed:
Corvette = Wraith Ping (Orange)
Destroyer = BC Ping (Purple)
Chomper = Asteroid Ping (White)
Minelayer = 2x sight radius for 1 second.
Corinthian
Corinthian

Back to top Go down

Sensor Types (Pings) Empty Re: Sensor Types (Pings)

Post  Tempest Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 am

i like the fact that your not sure what combat ships are what, which is why i proposed a scout small ship designed to bring clarity to the confusion. but the pings would shut down so much potential for radar strategy, and chompers shouldn't have the asteroid ping but rather the 2x sight radius, an asteroid ping would just be a little too awesome for the other miners in the game. if it did have an asteroid ping it would need to be within a small range not the whole map. corvette can have the wraith ping but that ship already has a large demand of energy consumption and personally as a wraith fighter i like being able to strike outside of range and get the jump in combat on such a close range dependent ship but i suppose it would be fair seeing as i cant die to an equally upgraded corvette Mad

the destroyer ping is what bugs me most, you cant cloak a bc, but you can maneuver it and its small ships to create radar confusion which i believe is sooo awesome, so deep and can be so strategic. id hate to have an enemy that can bring clarity to all that confusion that easily. its tough for me to say but i think im against all the propositions other than the chomper close range asteroid ping, or 2x sight radius for a second for the chomper as well.
Tempest
Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthian Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am

You are right, the Destroyer Ping is a terrible idea, and an asteroid ping would have to be close range.
Corinthian
Corinthian

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldenBoy Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 pm

These are some good ideas, but there is another mechanic i would love to see included with pings. When a ship pings, it should also ping its location to the enemy.

This would add some great realism to the game. Pinging is using active sensors, and in today's wet navy active sensors light up your position to any ship with even rudimentary sensors.

More important though, this would add a whole new layer of strategy to the game. Players would have to make a tough choice while going in on the attack (in either a wraith or BC) and would have to either chose to attack on old intel and hope the enemy stays relatively static, or keep active pings but lose the element of surprise.
GoldenBoy
GoldenBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Caladbolg Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 pm

GoldenBoy wrote:These are some good ideas, but there is another mechanic i would love to see included with pings. When a ship pings, it should also ping its location to the enemy.

This would add some great realism to the game. Pinging is using active sensors, and in today's wet navy active sensors light up your position to any ship with even rudimentary sensors.

More important though, this would add a whole new layer of strategy to the game. Players would have to make a tough choice while going in on the attack (in either a wraith or BC) and would have to either chose to attack on old intel and hope the enemy stays relatively static, or keep active pings but lose the element of surprise.

I agree on this. entirely

The Destroyer being quite a large ship, I dont understand why they would build it without a radar(and it has that big radar thing on top...). it should have a ping similar to the battlecruiser but with a twist : it should detect any ship in a medium range. (maybe about laser range?) only pings in that range would be detected.
it would allow the destroyer to track targets, without overpowering him because if he gets information, it means he is also close to the enemy and pings himself to them.
Caladbolg
Caladbolg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:27 pm

wow guys great ideas, both of you. i agree on both and dont see an issue either way. we should get a lower powered radar on the destroyer o.o. a navigation ping should announce your location to the enemy bc logically, it would however neutralize illusive radar mini map strategy whenever you ping to see your enemies location giving away yours.. another thing i was thinking about was those cool looking nebulas, i think you should have interference with radar when inside them which would add a clever twist to ambushes. Not saying to make the ping not occur, but maybe have it give an unclear exact location somehow? This would also encourage the creation of a ship designed to scout.
Tempest
Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Caladbolg Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 pm

for the nebula thing, the only possibility I see would be to make 4 random yellow ping in a close area... yellow to show its a ping with noise from a nebula, 4 to make the exact position harder to guess
Caladbolg
Caladbolg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 am

it would be awesome because you could hide a wraith, corvette, or whatever else in the nebula and when something comes close to explore you mess them all up.
Tempest
Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthian Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 am

An upgrade, for a Destroyer 'active ping,' which shows the enemy BC up to laser distance away, could work.

I think making the BC ping active would cause problems. Though, we know nothing yet about the Sensor Console. If the Sensor console could take over the role of passive sensors, then I would be for the greater realism.

I like the idea of Nebulae providing detriments and benefits, but I suspect many players use Low graphic settings to insure there is no lag. At low settings only starless areas are seen.
Corinthian
Corinthian

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Thats their problem :p
Tempest
Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Rocket Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 pm

'they' is also partially my problem as well, as i have a crappy comp and a good one but im not always able to play on the good one so the crappy one will haft to do.
Red-Rocket
Red-Rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum