Boarding Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boarding Discussion

Post  DumbMarine on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 am

Boarding the enemy BC has been something that a lot of people (including me) have been looking forward to for a while. Kinda weird that there isn't a general suggestion thread about it, aside from the transporter beam idea. I figure a discussion thread about it is good, we can talk about what we would like to see happen when it comes out. If we come up with enough of these we can piece together a smarter boarding system. A couple things to note though:

• Spawncamping can't be allowed, it's not fun. Note that crew don't die at 0 HP, they're incapacitated.
  • This has to be balanced for all team sizes, not just 6v6. It has to be balanced for defense as well. This means you probably won't be able to have the entire team board the enemy ship, kill everybody with sheer numbers, and fly the BC into asteroids till it dies.
  • It's unlikely, though not impossible, that boarders will be able to use the elevators (the orange zerg beacons). It runs the risk of boarding being too overpowered.
  • Boarders will likely be able to hack the ship via the console north of construction hacking any console. Some consoles are harder to hack than others.

I'll start us off:

I'd like to be able to board the BC, steal all the unrefined minerals, and fly off.

I'd like to be able to sneak on the BC, hide a tracking device or a nuke on the ship, and escape.

I'd like to be able to board the BC, blow through the turrets, hack the console, and set the core to explode.

Add what you want!

Last edited by DumbMarine on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

DumbMarine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boarding Discussion

Post  Corinthian on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 am

I would like there to be 2 ways of boarding an enemy ship.

1) Ship Approach - Boarders dock a ship with the enemy BC, I think the Corvette should be this boarding ship. This will ensure that the enemy knows, if they are paying attention, that they are being boarded.

2) Teleporter - Would only work if the enemy BC shields are below 500, and would cost 5-10k energy. You would teleport in right between the elevators and this is where you would have to teleport away from, but once again shields would have to be below 500. Either visibility of enemy BC before teleportation, or the inablility to select exterior view, would need to occur.

• I love the idea of stealing unrefined minerals, hiding a tracking device, and hacking the console.
  • I do not think boarders need to be able to reach the top deck.
  • I think the best personal gun type carried should supplant base damage. Carrying 3 bonus guns and your base gun, and stacking all the damage does not make sense.
  • I would like to be able to do the following with the console: Raise or Lower the energy going to the Shields, Engine, and Weapons.

Possible Personal Items:

• Personal Shield ~10hp
  • Trip Mine - should be easy to see, or only do 1/2 Health damage to Marine
  • Hacking Tools - I think a single type is sufficient

Additional Possible Ship Items:

• Engine Enhancement - adds ~5m/s to a SS top speed

Last edited by Corinthian on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Corinthian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthian on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:57 am

The AI console could have the command: Patrol

• The AI would run the length of the bottom deck and attack any enemies.

The Science console could have the ability: Vent Atmosphere

• The Atmosphere from the bottom deck would be removed, extinguishing all fires, and over the course of 1 minute killing all units.
Corinthian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Siretu on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 pm

A discussion thread for boarding is a great idea. The boarding is very much in progress, although it's kind of paused atm until I work out some other things.

Here's what I had planned:

New ship type: Infiltrator. Limit of 1. Fast moving and possibly an ability to make it slightly transparent. Boarding with it works the same as docking a normal ship, but on the enemy BC.

Hacking is not done from a special console. I guess the reason you'd think that is because that's the console that was shown in the video? The hacking preview showed just a piece of the terrain that was finished at the time because we wanted to showcase both the new terrain and the hacking.

Hacking was meant to be for every console. So if you tried to access an enemy console, it would bring up the hacking interface. The difficulty of the hacking puzzle would differ based on the type of console. So some consoles would be harder to hack.

There's no limitation on using the elevators. The limit of 1 infiltrator keeps the boarding from becoming overpowered, while still making it possible to fight your way up to the navigation, if you're well equipped.

Stealing unrefined minerals is definitely possible. I might remove the construction interface so you could steal equipment and missiles as well.

Tracking beacons wasn't something I had thought of, but it sounds like a good idea. The mechanic is already there since I buffed the predator heavy missile.

Plans are that you should be able to sabotage the shield core and engine core which would have bad effects on either the shield and engine. The shield and engine core are the big shiny parts on the top and bottom floor(where the power console is and where you thought the hacking console would be)

Teleporters might be a good idea, but I'm not sure I like it yet. It would however fix several problems(and likely causes for bugs in the future) because of the complexity of the ship hangar and what's supposed to actually happen with the ship when you board and how you get back, etc.

AI patrol is a good idea and the vent atmosphere is also a good idea. There is actually already an interface for the vent atmosphere. It was one of the first consoles I made. It's called the damage control console and it was planned to be able to lock doors and vent specific rooms. However, it never got implemented. Mostly, I'm not sure if it needs its own console. Putting it in the science console might be a good idea.
Siretu
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://starcrafteditorial.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthian on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 am

Here is a possibility. In order to dock, there would have to be 9 or fewer opponent ships. Once docked, the raiding marine could depart in any ship in the docking bays, and defending marines could depart in the raiding ship.

If the docking ship is the Corvette, or if the Infiltrator ship is only slightly more capable at approaching the enemy BC than the Corvette, then there does not need to be a limit on the number of boarding ships. A capable Bridge Officer could repel or escape most small ship approaches. The defending Bridge Officer is also close to the AI & Science consoles, from which on ship defenses can be initiated.
Corinthian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DumbMarine on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 am

I fixed my post. I don't know where I heard that the elevators would be off limits but I'm glad I was wrong on that. More hiding places on the main floor. Regards to the shield core console, I had a poor choice of words there, it wasn't to say that you could only hack that console, but that it would be an option for hacking if you wanted to hack the ship stealthfully, because you're probably not going to be able to hack the nav without killing the guys on nav and weapons first (and everything else).

I don't like the limit of 1 thing because it feels kinda hard to explain (aside from balance reasons). Why can't we build two? Because..... aauh? I think it would be easier to believably show that only one infiltrator can be docked on the enemy BC at a time, maybe by having it visibly exist on the BC hull like a leech. There's just no room for two!

I like the teleporter idea, but I think it would be cooler to load a crew into a missile tube and shoot them at the BC. Just don't miss! My hope is that I get to spend 500 of every resource on personal gear, load a boarding torpedo into the tube and get in, and then the guy on weapons misfires while we're facing the wrong way and the torpedo hits an asteroid. Razz

I think regarding boarding & shields, making it so that shields need to be down to board would be good. The infiltrator may have a weapon that does damage to shields, it may need to be researched first, or maybe it needs help from another ship to bring the shields down first. The shields are at a low level outside of combat, a paranoid crew can raise the shields to give more time to repel an infiltrator (at the cost of power). This would also give the infiltrator something to worry about instead of just heading straight on toward the BC being the dominant strategy.

DumbMarine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red-Rocket on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:49 pm

My opinion (i admit, im very opionated) first is on the nature of how to board, also making the BC layout with more corridors and more space can make things more dramatic
My veiw first is the nature of how to board an enemy
Your Equipment
Upgrades, more then just a weopen upgrade, you can also have armour and sheilds and maby a 3 time use only ability to lob a grendade that doesnt do alot of damage but does alot against big groups. Cloaking, Blass door satchel charges that destroyes blast doors (more on blast doors later) You can have hacking tools, the more expensive the better, when you go into an enemy console you are momentarily *busy* (unable to do anything, you take 2X of damage as you are busy hacking) The Higher up a console, the harder to hack (Long duration navigation, power. Medium duration, Wepeons, Upgrades. Short duration, construction, science, replicator (very short duration, individual hangar consoles) You can set these consoles to auto-destruct, which takes a small duration and destroyes the console and does damage, causes debris and fires around the console 'run away fast!'

2 things that can both be implemented
First is a boarding ship, cheap and fast but doesnt have that much health so it runs the risk of being shot down. It will allow for all troops to appear in 1 location, (adds 2 debris near entry and hurts hull 100 as if the ship cut through the hull to make its own *entry way*) once you are done and you have your unrefined minerals that you decided to *liberate* you can return to the entry point and disengage from the BC.
Second is a drop pod (like you see in the campaign when terran drop on a planet using those drop pods) Expensive, one time use, but cannot be shot down, it auto homes in on the enemy BC. drop pod spawns 1 debris and each drop pod will cause 50 damage to hull (multiple drop pods, every 4 NPCs will have a drop pod) and these drop pods will be scattered in close proximity to eachother, so trying to regroup quickly is the key to making these drop pods cost effective. This is a one way trip unless you steal an air-craft.
second is what you can include.

Upgrades, more then just a weopen upgrade, you can also have armour and sheilds and maby a 3 time use only ability to lob a grendade that doesnt do alot of damage but does alot against big groups.
Extra boarding members (NPCs) (Maby just have a seperate console to deal with the entire thing that can hold 3 boarding ships in its own hangar.) The idea is when you board you get your complimenteray extra 2 marines (weaker then you as you will be the focus of the fight) and the NPCs will follow you around in an attack move, basicly stopping to fight enemies along the way but are focused on following where you are going. You can add extra members for a cost.
Add 2 marines X 3 20 blue 40 yellow (3 meaning you can get this 3 times before you are unable to get more, each individual addon is a purchase so you wanted 4 extra marines you would pay 40 blue 80 yellow and still have the option to buy one more set if you want) Short range, Low DPS, Medium health
Add 1 maurauder X 2 50 yellow 50 blue 50 red High Health, Medium DPS, medium range
Add 1 medic X 3 50 blue 25 yellow Low health, can heal
Add 1 ghost X 1 50 yellow 50 red 100 green Low health, High dps High range, has passive ability that is a short range sensor that can spot enemies (like a sensor tower)

Wow that was exhausting! but there is more but it needs to be heard

As for the Defending,

We can have a barracks or whatever (barracks can be destroyed and must be repaired so that it can be usable again) that will be the source of spawning troops and adding individual troops to depleted patrol parties. Here we can add extra troops to compliment the patrols. and will gradualy spawn them to increase numbers over time. There should be many small patrols and a few large ones so that the boarding members that arent fully equipped should most likely avoid large patrols and several smaller ones at once

We can also get upgrades for those auto defence turrets, increasing armour and health (no dps for main turrets), and possibly adding other abbilities like those flame turrets from the campaign that pop up and roast stuff (low health, high dps, high armour) and adding rocket launchers to the turrets so that dps will be in abbilities rather then straight up dps.

Another idea is blast doors that once upgraded will add blast doors throughout the map and will auto-open to allow freindly troops through but will hinder the enemy troops and can stop fire from spreading.

The blast doors can be repaired by an SCV being sent from the barracks (low health) and can repair the blast doors and destroyed consoles, barracks can only send 1 SCV a minut and have 2 at the ready at the barracks to auto begin repairing, it could also be a Debris sweaper (by doing 5 dmg to debris a second) if debris is located on the ship but nobody has the time to take out the debris that is in the far corner of the BC, they tidy things up.

Wow that was alot but there should be alot more to boarding parties then just you and a BC and things could get really uninteresting where people thought it would be the best part. This is just the idea that i lay, we can expand on it (like adding reapers and spectres, a possiblity to add a second barracks as a console upgrade so it will be doubly harder for boarding parties to get in)

Thats it to my book of a post
Red-Rocket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthian on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 pm

After reading Tempests post concerning the Scout Ship, and thinking about what I desire from boarding, I agree with the idea of the Infiltrator Ship. I also agree with the availability of using the elevators.

I am interested in covert missions on the enemy BC. I do not necessarily want them to know I am there. I do not want to have to engage in combat, but this option should be available for those who enjoy brute force methods.
Corinthian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempest on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:03 am

awesome thread, been thinking a lot about this and surprisingly most of my ideas have been claimed, you bastards haha.

Infiltrator ship with 1 capacity, obviously you cant have more than one player claiming control of a ship thats complex and unnecessary, but seeing as it might be easilly detectable and just to add some extreme epicness to the boarding process, can the infiltrator ship deploy 3 ai controled patrolling allied marines along with you to cover you while you hack or sabotage? depending on how easy it is to foil said plans and to add a little more incentive to buy a gun and shield or whatever is going to be available to your character for equipment. they would be incapable of hacking or anything of that sort, but would provide cover fire. If you buy more than one of these infiltrators you'd stack a crazy amount of these marines so maybe something could be implemented to have only 1 of that ship out at a time?

Would you be able to hijack enemy ships? infiltration ship should be cheap, going in there simply to steal minerals and a destroyer would be badass. i think the infiltrator ship should die when boarding, or left as a neutral unit outside of the boarded bc, so that you CAN hijack and claim ownership of an enemy ship and make your awesome badass escape on it possibly ;o not likely with broadsides. but possibly!

instead of needing it to be obvious that an enemy has boarded, have us board into an area that gets sealed off by a destructible door as a security measure, maybe make a red alert alarm sound or visably go into affect that an enemy has boarded the bc or begins hacking a device. i like the idea of covert ops, but i also love the idea of an intense thrilling dangerous situation where you probably wont make it out alive :p
Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jannik2099 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

idea how to sabotate boarding defense:
you have to research a special torpedo fired from the infil. this torpedo disables security alerts, so when you board the ship no turrets attack and no warning message will come. you can also teleport to the bc (faster, no destruction (or damaging) of infiltrator, but energy cost. also you have to set the security systems off to beam (with the torpedo). Maybe you can teleport a bomb onboard (would be very funny when power manager standing at console and sees something "why this is blinking so booooom").

Jannik2099

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top